Sep 24, 2011

Who is Belamis ベラミス ?


ベラミス is the phonetics of name of a character, loosely transliterated to Belamis in English. There's no official Chinese name, but it was translated to 比拉絲 when it was aired in Hong Kong.
Belamis was a character created for the Japanese Anime in the late 1970's called SF Starzinger (or Starzinger for short).

Starzinger was adapted from the Chinese novel "Journey to the West" (西遊記), so in this Anime, the chief hero Jan Kugo (ジャン・クーゴ) was based on the Monkey King from the original, and a number of characters were also adapted from the Chinese novel.

Belamis, however, was entirely original.
Belamis was to be a formidable rival of Kugo, but later they fought alongside.
This character appeared to be quite a success. Belamis has many fans where they wrote poems on Belamis, and many drawings.

The show was aired in Hong Kong when I was in junior high school. During the first 30 series Kugo got all the attention (of me at least), until midway in the series enters Belamis (episode 36), since then all I wanted to see is Belamis not others.

I was immediately mesmerized by the wits, charm, looks, "manly" suit and the way she fights - yes, she's female and also a cyborg like Kugo.

More about her will come in separate articles in this blog dedicated to her, telling her stories in the series.

1 comment:

Wendolyn said...

Oh Belamis!!!! I LOVE HER!!!!
I ssaw this anime when I was just a little child, seven years old.

I liked Starzinger, but if a loose one episode, was not big deal... but when Belamis came in, Oh My God!! I just cannot loose any chapter, any of them!!
I was a big fan of this wonderful cyborg she-warrior.
Well... almost twenty years later, I still, and always be.
=)